What are the benefits of installing the Thunderbolt Dock Utility?
- The Corsair Thunderbolt kernel extension enables charging iPads and support for the Apple SuperDrive and the Apple keyboard.
- The Corsair Thunderbolt Dock Utility is a menu bar item that enables ejecting all drives connected to your dock, letting you safely unplug it.
How to: Install the Thunderbolt Dock Utility
Though the Corsair TBT100 and TBT200 Docks can work as soon as you plug it into your Mac’s Thunderbolt port, installing the Thunderbolt Dock Utility will give you the best utilization of its features.
The Thunderbolt Dock Utility software 1.5.2 is currently compatible with macOS Catalina and later. For earlier versions of MacOS, please use version 1.4.2.
NOTE: The Corsair Thunderbolt 3 Dock Utility software is only compatible with macOS.
Step 1: Download the Corsair Thunderbolt Dock software installer
You can check for new versions of the Corsair Thunderbolt Dock software by clicking this link and using the dropdown to select "Thunderbolt Docks".
Please click here for CORSAIR Thunderbolt Dock Software v1.3.0 (macOS 10.11 to 10.14).
Please click here for CORSAIR Thunderbolt Dock Software v1.4.1 (macOS 10.15 and later).
Please click here for CORSAIR Thunderbolt Dock Software v1.5.2 (macOS 11 and later).
Step 2: Install the Corsair Thunderbolt Dock Utility
When you run the installer, it will install the Corsair Thunderbolt kernel extension and the Corsair Thunderbolt Dock Utility application.
To run the installer:
- Double-click the installer to launch it.
- Click Continue to start the installation process.
- Click Continue to Agree to the Software License Agreement.
- Select the disk where you want to download the software, then click Continue.
- Click Install.
- Click Continue Installation if prompted to restart your computer and finish installation.
Step 3: Use the Corsair Thunderbolt Dock Utility
Before first use, the application has to be to unblocked as a System Extension due to Apple system policies.
- Click Open Security Preferences in the dialog box
- Click the padlock in the lower left and enter your password to allow to make changes in the control panel
- Click Allow to unblock the Corsair Thunderbolt Utility as system extension.
2. In order to use SuperDrive or enable higher power supply to USB ports on the Docking Station, the Docking Station has to be plugged in after boot is completed. This is due to Apple system policies of System Extensions only being allowed to load after boot. If your dock was plugged into during boot and you would like to use SuperDrive, simply unplug it and plug it back in.
How to access the Thunderbolt Dock Utility:
Once Corsair Thunderbolt Dock Utility is installed and unblocked, you can access it from your Mac’s menu bar or from the Launchpad. The menu will show 3 options at the top:
- No Corsair Thunderbolt Dock attached: This appears when the Corsair Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock is not physically attached to your Mac.
- Unplug Corsair Thunderbolt Dock: This appears when the Corsair Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock is attached and detected. Select this option to eject all drives attached to your Dock. You can then physically unplug the Dock from your Mac.
- Corsair Thunderbolt Dock is safe to unplug: This appears after the Corsair Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock and any equipment attached to it is unmounted. You can safely remove the Thunderbolt cable from your Mac.
You can also click Preferences… option to bring up the main Corsair Thunderbolt Dock Utility options window. Here you can check the Launch at Login checkbox to have the Utility launch when you log in.