If you see duplicate pending charges on your statement after making a purchase, do not panic. The duplicate pending charge is usually an authorization hold that is still being processed. You are NOT being double-charged for a single purchase.
What is an authorization hold?
When you use a credit card to pay for a transaction, your issuing bank places a hold on your account while it checks and sees if you have enough funds to pay for the transaction.
When you use a credit card for a transaction, the following steps occur:
- You swipe a payment card or enter in payment information.
- The issuing bank places an authorization hold equal to the cost of the entire order on your account to ensure you have enough funds to pay for the transaction.
- If your account has enough funds, the bank approves of the authorization.
- Once your package ships out, your credit card is charged the cost of the items in the shipped package.
- If your order is shipped in several packages, each subsequent package will be shipped and charged individually, up to the amount of the authorization.
What do I do about duplicate pending charges?
Authorization holds will go away after the transaction is processed. Once your transaction has been fully processed, the authorization hold will be removed. This may take some time, usually between 3 to 5 business days, so please be patient.